Pasta e Patate is a dish enjoyed best on a cold autumn or winter’s day! It’s comforting and warm, and doesn’t cost a lot of money on ingredients. The best part is, you only need one pot, so the clean up is super easy.
This dish is perfect for next day lunches and keeps well for a few days!
Optional: You can choose to make this dish with rice instead of pasta, just remember to add extra water. You can also use other noodles, not just ditali!
Notes about this recipe:
-Vegan and vegetarian Friendly (cheese topping is optional)
-Can be easily prepared Gluten Free if you use GF noodles or rice
-Can be made in large batches to serve a crowd
-Keeps well in the fridge over several days, so you can put it in your children’s thermos for a easy hot lunch!
-You can alter this recipe for your own tastes and preferences, try adding fresh peas!
Do you enjoy Nonna Elda Cooks? Want to help support the channel? You can support by purchasing a copy of Nonna’s cookbook (contains 10 recipes mostly pasta related: Lasagne, canneloni, fettucine, etc.)
You can also help support the channel by making purchases through Nonna’s Amazon Storefront! A commission is made from any purchases made through the link and the storefront includes a list of Nonna’s favourite kitchen tools!
4 tbsp Olive Oil
4 Cloves Garlic
1 Chopped Onion
1.5 cups chopped carrot
1.5 cups chopped celery
4 peeled cut potatoes leave some large pieces
2.5 cups tomato puree
6 cups water
1 cube Aurora vegetable buillon
- In a large pot fry garlic and onions until soft
- Add carrots and celery
- Pour in Tomato Puree
- Add potatoes (a couple of large chunks, the rest smaller bite sized pieces)
- Cook on medium for about ten minutes
- Add water and simmer covered with lid until potato is soft
- Smush large pieces of potato with a fork
- Add 2 cups ditali pasta (Alternatively you can use rice, but if you do add rice then you need to add more water to keep it soupy.)
- Add salt and buillon
- Cook until pasta is ready, serve with cheese or chilis
Leave a Reply